Weird City Press
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
What we’re looking for
WCP is looking for stories to publish in its magazine, Weird City. These stories should…
- Be about “strange things in dense places”. While we’re flexible with definitions of “strange” and “dense”, there needs to be a general fit to our magazine theme.
- Be well-written and carefully proofread. We want the pieces you’re truly proud of.
- Be original works — no copied works, fanfics, or reinterpretations. We also discourage incorporating distinct elements from other works into yours (e.g. We don’t want to see Cthulhu stories).
- Be self-contained, standalone stories. No chapter excerpts please.
- Be between 1500 and 7500 words.
In case you’re wondering: YES, we do accept simultaneous submissions.
What we’re NOT looking for
- Multiple submissions. Submit one story at a time, please.
- Reprints. We’re buying first publication rights only.
- First drafts. We are not your personal editors; show us respect by respecting your writing with proofreading and the necessary edits/revisions.
- Cliches. We agree that it’s all been done, but some things have been done dramatically more often than others. Our readers have been asked to stop reading if they sniff a cliche-heavy story.
- Smut. We at WCP have nothing against erotica, smut, or dirty writing, but we’re not buying it.
- Offensive material. That includes everything you think it does: racism, bigotry, sexism, etc. Yes, a character in a story may be a racist (for example) but know the difference between this and ideology pushing.
- That one story you just couldn’t get published anywhere else. Don’t make us your safety school.